Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

On Safety classes

Another day, another round of safety classes. I strongly dislike safety classes. But, I have been paying attention as closely as my bored ears can take, since it seems like there are more ways to kill or cripple yourself on this job than there are ways to NOT kill or cripple yourself. I mean, who woulda thunk that a 60,000lb, top-heavy vehicle with about 6 different hydraulic lifts would be dangerous? It's not like the vehicle is too tall to go under many bridges, or can't lift either it's forks OR the box if there are wires around. C'mon, how many people have actually died from their vehicle hitting high voltage wires? Or how many people have died from unsecured locking pins falling off a truck? /sarcasm.

This job is dangerous. VERY dangerous. Every year, about 40 people die in garbage truck related accidents, just from the company I am working for. One mistake, one person forgetting one little step, one jackass not paying attention to what they are doing, and we have a dead person. Now, lest y'all think that the company I am working for is slacking the safety department, let me assure you, they are not. Ho boy, they are not. They have ten, count them, ten different safety regulations that, if violated, result in IMMEDIATE termination from the job. As they Regional Safety Manager told us, the company would rather have us unemployed, and still alive, then employed but dead. There are about seventy or eighty safety regulations that will only result in a warning if violated...for the first time. If they regulation is violated a second time, you get to have some more safety training, since you obviously didn't pay enough attention to the week-long class you had to take when you got hired, or the annual safety meetings you have to attend each year. A third time, start looking for another job. This company ain't screwin' around when it comes to safety. Seniority isn't even a protection against the safety regs. The company just will not employ someone who is a danger, either to themselves or others.

I just still hate sitting in an office building. I know it's important, and I have had my I-can't-believe-I-was-so-lucky reminders in the real world about how important safety is, and how important it is to pay attention, at ALL times. But, I just wish there was a way to get these important safety tips without having to sit in a classroom, watching videos, and being lectured to by the Regional Safety Manager. He is a least a cool guy, who has been where we are right now, learning how to sling trash safely. So, at least we don't have to listen to a stuffed shirt tell us a bunch of stuff that he has no clue about. But the classes are still boring me to tears.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country