Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Friday, November 12, 2004

On dinner at the King's house

Not too long ago, I posted this thread about not wanting to deal with organised religion anymore. Brian B, of Memento Moron, brought up the very valid point of churches being a place of fellowship, also.

That got me to thinking about the role of churches, and what their function is supposed to be. "Church" is a word of Greek origin, meaning "community". That should tell us something about how the early Christian Church functioned. It was a neighborhood, not a temple. The early Church was primarily for Christians to meet other Christians, and to worship the Lord of Hosts together. Now, churches are, for the most part, either indoctrination centers, or places to evangelize the evangelized. Actual dedication to the Word of God seems to be rather lacking.

Now, don't get me wrong. I only recently (past 2 years) dedicated my life to Jesus. Before then, I was just a Christian in Name Only. I didn't attend church, and I didn't really think that God was real. In fact, I used to tell people that I was more of a Buddhist by temperment, but didn't want to take the time to learn all about Buddhism to actually become a Buddhist. So, Christianity it was, since I was raised in a Judeo-Christian society, so already had most of the basic tenets down pat. Or so I thought.

One day, I was driving somewhere (for the life of me, I can't remember where, but that can happen when you drive 100,000 miles+ in an average year), and all I could get on the radio was a Christian radio station. Well, just to have something to listen to, I listened. I mean, I was a Christian, even if I didn't believe all that Jesus-rose-from-the-dead mumbo-jumbo, right? Wrong. It was a sermon by Dr. David Jeremiah, and it literally changed my life. I don't even remember what the sermon was about. All I know is, I was left with the feeling that I had been lied to. By my mother. By the Catholic school I attended. By society. By the Mormons. (I was baptized Mormon, FYI...) By everyone. Christianity was NEVER about going to church. It was about talking to God directly, and binding my soul to God's Will. It was all there. In the Bible. All I had ever had to do was actually crack the cover on the Bible, and actually read what Jesus told us. And Paul. We must NEVER forget Paul.

You see, Paul didn't attend church. He was too busy founding them. He rarely went to a church in the cities he visited, since he was usually the only Christian when he arrived. There wasn't a community for him to take fellowship with. He created the communities, and then left to create new communities. Paul didn't need to attend church, because wherever he went, he WAS the church. Him and God. Paul contented himself with the fellowship of God. And I see no reason for me not to follow his example.

But, I actually do have a church that I attend for fellowship. It is here, and here, and here. It is also here, and here. My church follows me wherever I go, because, wherever I go, God is with me. I also get my fellowship with other Christians, wherever I find them, be it on the Internet, or on the radio, or in the meat world. So, I don't need a church for fellowship. I have my fellowship. All the fellowship I need. I found my church. It just wasn't in a brick-and-mortar building, as most people think it is. It was in the world, and with God. YOU are my Christian fellowship. Not the building. Not the denomination. People who search for the Will of God is my church. And will remain so until God calls for me to join Him.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country