Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

On giving thanks

Okay, I'll admit it. Thanksgiving is one of my least favorite holidays, but not because of the sentiment(s) involved, but merely because of my...interesting...family dynamics. But, in the spirit of what Thanksgiving is SUPPOSED to mean, I'll do a Giving of Thanks here.

I am thankful for my job. It isn't an easy job, and it takes a lot out of me, and I think I'm a touch too high-mileage to actually do it for too long, but, it pays the bills, and I'm surviving it, for now, at least.

I am thankful for my Lord and Savior, without whom, I wouldn't know HOW to be a good person. I don't always succeed (in fact, I fail more often than I succeed...), but, at least I have an ideal to strive for.

I am thankful that my country saw fit to elect a man of principle, rather than a charlatan. I was very nervous about the election results, even when I went to bed that night. I woke up the next morning to find that America WASN'T a country of easily led automatons.

I am thankful for y'all, my loyal readers. I am very sorry that I can't, or won't, post enough to justify your visits, but, I hope that I'll be able to, once I get used to the rather ridiculous amount of labour I have to perform in a normal day.

I am especially thankful for Greg and Todd. They have helped me out through some interesting times, and I don't know if they even know they did it. But, they did, and I am very grateful for that.

I am thankful for my three darling nephews. They are wonderful children, even though their mother (my sister) has made some decisions about their upbringing that I don't neccesarily agree with. But, they aren't my children, so, I'll just continue to play with them, and spoil them, until I have some DevilPuppies of my own.

I am thankful that the obligatory family holidays only come around twice a year, within a month's span, so I don't have to put up with my horrid family any more than I have to. I am polite to them, but I am miserable every minute I spend with them. Except my nephews. Them, I like.

I am thankful that I had the chance to grow up in the greatest country the Earth has ever seen, and then had a chance to serve that country. Even if I wasn't the best Marine, or most disciplined, or even the most skilled. At least I am an American, and a Marine. And NO ONE can take that away from me. No matter what anyone says about me, or does to me, or says to me, I am still a US Marine (not currently serving), and that is good enough for me.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country