Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

On happy holidays

Okay, I have to be honest. There are only four holidays that I even consider celebrating, and today and tommorrow are two of them. Today, if you didn't know, is the US Marine Corps' Birthday, and tommorrow is Veteran's Day. Both of them are very important to me, but one of them is more...sentimental to me. Care to take a guess which one? But, anyway, the only other holidays I celebrate are Independence
Day (which really isn't July 4, but will suffice lacking a better date) and Memorial Day. Every other holiday can go away, as far as I'm concerned.

Easter? Pagan holiday. Jesus was in Jerusalem for the Passover celebration, so, Easter ought to be the same week as Passover, right? Wrong, at least according the Roman Catholic Church. You see, they wanted to blend in with the pagans, so adopted the pagan holidays as their own. And Easter is an adaptation of a pagan spring festival of fertility. Now does the Easter Bunny make a little more sense?

Christmas? Even worse. Jesus was most assuredly NOT born in the middle of winter. He was likely born in summer or late spring. So, why the winter celebration? Again, the RCC adopted a pagan winter holiday as their own, with many of the pagan rituals and trappings.

Thanksgiving? Only for personal reasons. I have NEVER had a Thanksgiving dinner with my family (mother and sister) that I enjoyed. I don't enjoy being baited in conversation by my moonbat mother, and being ignored by my mother and sister when they start talking. So, for now, the only reason I participate in Thanksgiving is to play with my three adorable nephews.

Halloween? Pagan holiday. 'Nuff said.

Labor Day? Only in America do we celebrate Union workers with a day off...which, considering the work ethic of most unions, actually makes a fair amount of sense. But, why on Earth would I want to celebrate unions?

New Year's Eve and Day? Another pagan holiday, but, this time, with drunken crowds. I hate crowds, and I hate drunks even more. Even though I used to be one of those drunks. Nothing sets my teeth on edge faster than a mob of drunken idiots, many of whom are fights looking for a place to occur. I don't like fights. Someone always goes to the hospital, and someone always goes to jail. I don't like hospitals, so I usually choose to go to jail.

Now that I have my little gripe about holidays out of the way, let me get on to the important stuff.

Happy Birthday, United States Marine Corps. Semper Fidelis. Here's to another 500 years of God's Finest Fighting Force protecting liberty and freedom throughout the world...even if some of the guarded don't deserve it.

"If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded by
United States Marines!"

Give 'em Hell in Fallujah, Leathernecks.

Happy Veteran's Day, veterans currently serving, and those who wish they still were. Without you, I would not have had the chance to grow up in the greatest country God has ever seen fit to allow. It is because of you that I had the choice to join the US Marine Corps, and the freedom to write these praises for you, without a rifle being pointed at my head. Today, I will think about all the veterans America has, both here and at the right hand of God. For the American Veterans truly did God's work here on Earth.

Even if y'all were just support troops for my beloved Corps.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country