Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Friday, November 12, 2004

On obligations and responsibilities

In the past couple of days, I have had it impressed upon my heart to do something that I really don't want to do. I mean, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't want to do this, but, I have to. I don't really have a choice. You see, when God tells you to do something, you would be well-advised to do it. But I really don't want to do it, and I bet that y'all don't want to do it, either. But we have to. HAVE TO! We, literally, have no choice.

What is this thing that we must do, that we don't want to do?

We have to pray for Yassir Arafat's soul. We have to pray to God to forgive Yassir for his sins and crimes. Yes, he was evil. Yes, he was a murderer. Yes, he was a tyrant. Yes, he was a tool of the Adversary. All of these things are true, and I imagine that there are other things about him that we DON'T know about him that would only lower our estimation of him. That is all irrelevant.

If we were to rate ourselves on a goodness scale, where would we each rate ourselves? How would we rate Yassir Arafat? How would we rate ourselves compared to Yassir Arafat? Let me tell you, it doesn't matter, because God is rating all of us, and He is using a diffent scale than we are. No matter how high we rate ourselves, God is rated at "Infinite". And, if any of us remember our theoretical mathematics, "Infinite" is an awfully big number. Well, what difference does it make to God if we are a 75 on the Goodness Scale, or a 50? Or even a 1000? Because every number we rate ourselves at falls short, WAY short, of God. When God is perfect, and we all fall short of His standards, who are we to say that we are any better or worse than anyone else?!

So, for this reason, I have found myself asking God to forgive Mr. Arafat. Even though I prayed for his death, and cheered when it came to pass, now, I have to ask God to forgive him. Because, to God, Arafat and I are the same rating on the Goodness Scale...not good enough.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country