Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

On inanities

Okay, after watching my beloved Wisconsin Badgers have their home winning streak broken by the Illinois Illini, I don't have much time or energy to put up anything substantial. But, I want to get used to blogging during the week, so, I'm gonna put up some random stuff, and see what sticks.

I know it's a little late, but, I figured I would tell y'all what I got for Christmas. I got exactly what I wanted: gift certificates to a book store. All in all, I got about $250 worth of gift certificates, which was more than enough to pay for a membership card at the bookstore...with just the discount the membership gave me. The cashier's eyes actually widened when I walked up to the counter with my books. Off the top of my head, I think I bought 30 books. I'll give you a partial list of the books, and let y'all tell me what it says about me.

The Death of Right and Wrong by Tammy Bruce
What the Bible is All About by Dr. Henrietta Mears
David by some guy who I don't want to ever meet.
The Coldfire Trilogy by CS Friedman (I have lost at least three copies of this series)
The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (worth the cost just for three pages...)
To Reign in Hell by Steven Brust
HTML for the World Wide Web by Elizabeth Castro
Dragon and Issola by Steven Brust
Shut Up and Sing by Laura Ingraham
Essential Truths of the Christian Faith by RC Sproul
New Testament Greek by somebody or other

Those are just the books I can see, or can remember. There are at least 5 others that aren't within vision, or whose names I can't quite recall.

For any of my Texas readers, I plan on being in the Republic of Texas the week of July 7th to the 11th. I won't have a huge amount of time, but, if y'all want a visit, let me know. My e-mail is over there on the side bar, under my profile. I'll plan my driving around based on visits that are requested. I'm planning on visiting Austin for a day or two, just to scout it out for my future move, but, if you think I'd like your area better, invite me. I am purposely coming in July, to get a feel for how hot the summers are going to be. I know August is hotter and more humid, but, I didn't want to wait that long to go. Waiting until July is gonna kill me as it is.

For those of you who live in more northern climes, I've got a request for you. When it snows, don't put your garbage on the snowbanks. Invariably, the snow will melt, or will shift, and your trash will not be where you put it when the garbage man gets there. In addition, it appears that most people seem to think that garbage trucks drive on the sidewalk, because that's the side of the snowbank that most people put their trash on. Some people can't make up their minds which side to put their trash on, so, they just place their trash halfway to the curb...in the snowbank. I've developed a rule for trash collection after a snowfall: where ever the cans were, that's where they get put back. If someone thinks I really want to go climbing all over their snowbank, I'll put their cans right back in the snowbank, since they seem to think it's so much fun. If they actually put their cans at least CLOSE to the curb on their plowed driveway, I put the cans back there. It may be petty, but, it kept me from quitting today, because just about every knucklehead on my route made me climb their snowbanks...right next to their near-spotless driveway.

Let's play a game of garbage man math. If a garbage man's route is 700 customers, and each and every one of those customers place their cans 10 feet from the curb, how many extra miles will the garbage man have to walk during the day? And how much extra time has been added to his day? For extra credit, figure each and every customer has a 75 pound can. How much weight will he have to carry that extra distance?

Do the math on that, and then, think about what your garbage man has to go through to pick up your trash. 700 customers is a lot of customers, but, I have a day where I have more than that. Most of my days are 500-600 customers. The math isn't much prettier with those numbers.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country