Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Sunday, January 09, 2005

On questions

I have a question for y'all. Why does it seem that most Christians are affluent, college educated, white collar people? At least, here in Moscow-Between-The-Lakes, they are. And I've noticed that most of the bloggers who openly profess their Christianity aren't exactly what I would call blue-collar types. Now, I'm not impugning them. ALL Christians are my brothers and sisters, and the affluent ones are no less Christian than I am. In fact, some of y'all are probably BETTER Christians than I am. But, it would appear to me that the blue-collar types, and polyester-uniform types, are the ones that Jesus Hisself seemed to try and reach.

As a matter of personal preference, due to an allergy to school (I have outbreaks of narcolepsy...), I am a blue-collar worker. In all of the years I've been doing grunt work, I've only met a handful of Christians. Oh, quite a few of my co-workers go to church, but, as the bumper sticker says, "If going to church makes you a Christian, being in a garage makes you a car." So, why haven't I seen the burning desire for the Word of God amongst the blue-collar workers? I mean, where I work now, I know of one Evangelical, and have a suspicion about another. That's out of 70+ drivers. Include me in the mix, and that's a percentage of about 5%, and that's if I'm right about the driver I think is a practicing Christian. Although, I do have to say, most of the other drivers don't recoil in horror when I tell them that I am a "Bible-thumpin' Jesus freak". So, where is the Word? Why aren't the churches trying to get the Word out to the blue-collar workers? Why do they only seem to target the affluent and white-collar workers?

My theory is that the Church (as a whole...all denominations) overlooks the blue-collar workers, because they want to reach out to the people who the Church views as needing the Word the most, namely, the down-and-out, prisoners, and affluent. The blue-collar workers seem to be left out in the cold. Also, the blue-collar workers don't react well to emotional appeals, like the others do. They tend to deal with the here-and-now, rather than the Big Picture. This isn't a weakness on their part, but, a neccessity due to the nature of their work. I'm an odd duck as a blue-collar, since I think while working to keep myself from getting bored. Most other blue-collar workers do NOT think while working, to keep from getting bored. They tend to focus more on what they are doing, rather than what is happening outside the borders of their work world.

Another flaw I see in how the Church conducts it business is that they want the Unsaved to go to the churches to hear the Word, instead of going to where the Unsaved are. If you read the New Testament, you will notice that Jesus didn't remain in one place for very long, and neither did Paul. They went to where the Unsaved where, rather than asking the Unsaved to come to them. An analogy I have used with people is that there are about 1000 steps between us and God, and God took the first 999 steps. All the Unsaved have ever had to do was take that first and final step.

Now, you may be asking yourself, "Self, what do I do about it? I'm not the Church!". Wrong. You are. You can do a lot of things. For starters, don't hide the fact that you are a Christian. Don't beat people over the head with it, and don't preach constantly. But, you can preach the Gospel as Thomas Aquinas suggested, and only use words when neccessary. Also, if someone utters a fallacy about Christianity within your hearing, correct them, gently and patiently. Nothing turns a potential convert away from the Truth faster than being lectured passionately. As Jesus and Paul showed us, exposure to the Truth will win more converts than passionate preaching. Tell them the Truth, and let God change their heart.

What do y'all think?

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country