Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Thursday, August 04, 2005

On Doctors and Reasons to Hate Them

I have good news, and I have bad news, and I have could-be-good-or-bad news. What do you want to hear first?

Let's go with the bad news first. The neurologist I saw today was surprised at the level of atrophy in my hand- too much to have happened in only two months. So, this might have been going on longer, under the radar, than I had originally thought. As of right now, there are no (zip, zero, nada) nerve impulses getting through to my hand. But, hey... at least it's only pinched and not cut, right?

Could-be-good-or-bad news is that he (or a neurosurgeon that he knows) might be able to fix it if he can locate where the nerve is pinched, and if it wasn't pinched too badly for too long, and if the surgeon can free it without causing more problems. Yes, there are a lot of ifs there, but, at least he didn't tell that there's nothing he can do and have a nice life.

I go back next week so that the good doctor can hook a bunch of electrodes to my arm to try (successfully, we hope) to find out exactly where the pinch is. Then he can tell the surgeon exactly where to slice and dice on my arm.

Ah, yes, the good news. You can read all of the Sherlock Holmes short stories in (almost) one sitting. Okay, it took me about two weeks to read all 3000 pages. The down side to that, however, is that I have discovered a group of people worse than Trekkies. Sherlock Holmes fanatics should be avoided at all costs. You have been warned. Those freaks actually believe Sherlock Holmes was a real person, Dr. John Watson wrote the stories, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle just took the credit. Evidently, there are volumes of books written on where Holmes went to school (Cambridge or Oxford), whether Sherlock was a man or woman, and countless pages devoted to where the events of the stories actually occured.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country