Random Firings of Neurons

The rest of your life is going to be spent getting back up after life has knocked you down again. You might as well just get used to it.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Round Rock, Texas, United States

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Updates of Sorts

Sorry about the long absence, but, typing has been a bit more...uncomfortable...than usual.

I had my post-op check-up today, and I now have a little bit more information to impart to y'all.

First things first; I am now the proud owner of an $11,000 (plus or minus some pocket change), 5 inch scar on the inside of my elbow. For the past two weeks, my arm had been wrapped from mid bicep/tricep to mid-hand, so, I had not had any chance to see the surgeon's damage handiwork. It's a beauty of a scar. It's very well sutured, and won't be all that bad, once it heals. But, it is longer than all of the other surgery scars I have (three surgeries, seven scars) COMBINED! And it is the most expensive scar I have, by a lot.

I suppose y'all are also wondering about how successful the surgery was. Very successful, based on some important criteria. One: I woke up from it. Due to my rather young age, and slightly better than average health, it wasn't likely that I'd have any complications from the surgery, but, stranger things have happened. Two: My ulnar nerve was successfully relocated, from behind my elbow (the ulnar nerve is your funny bone nerve) to the inside of my elbow. So, no more whacking of the funny bone for me. This surgery may have been worth it, just for that fact alone... Three: It hasn't hurt nearly as much as I thought it would. In fact, the incision only hurt for about 2 1/2 days, and that was without any painkillers. And, of those 2 1/2 days, it was actually only really painful for 1/2 day, the day I got home from surgery. The other two days, it was just really tender. So, all in all, it wasn't that bad.

I've been putting off talking about the whole reason for this surgery: the use of my left hand. On that subject, I guess I would have to say:

So, anyway, speaking of sharks....

So far, the results have been...mixed...at best. On some days, my hand is no better than it was before the surgery. On other days, it hurts, a lot. Like, my hand has been hit with a hammer hurts-a-lot. Some days, I can move my affected fingers freely. Other days, I have to physically grab my fingers to straighten them out, just like before the surgery. And on other days, all of those things will be true, but, based on a hour-by-hour basis.

The surgeon seemed a little concerned by all of this, today, but, he decided (a bit at my prompting) that all of those things were positive signs, because, before the surgery, I felt no pain, and had no control in my fingers. Now, to even have intermittent feeling (even if it is just pain) and control of my fingers is an improvement, of sorts.

I have also gained a small amount of strength back in my hand. The other day, I was, with a little bit of effort, able to use a nail clippers. It may not seem like much to you, but, a little over two weeks ago, that was an impossibility for me.

You also may have noticed that this post is a lot longer than most of my other, pre-op, posts. There is a reason for that. It doesn't hurt nearly as much to type for long times anymore. It's still not comfortable, but, it doesn't cause the massive cramping that it used to.

So, all in all, I'm going to be positive, and just assume that everything is going swimmingly, until someone or something convinces me otherwise. And if you try to convince me otherwise, I'll think you'll find that my right hand still works just fine, thank you very much.

Semper Fidelis: Always Faithful, to God, Corps and Country